Ukrainian Hand Painted Easter Eggs
Painted Easter eggs are an eternal symbol of the holiday and traditional Easter gift
Easter is a sacred and very symbolic holiday, which awakes an echo in not only of church members hearts’, but probably in hearts of all people, regardless of their views. It is so because this day is associated with domestic warmth, family traditions, joyful excitements and belief in a genuine miracle. The brightest attributes of this holiday, of course, are Easter eggs, which are called in Ukraine as pysanky or krasanky. It is interesting that egg painting was traditional for our ancestors back in pre-Christian times. An egg was considered to be a symbol of the Slav fertility and revival. Ornaments, which were applied to it, also had a profound symbolic meaning. Painted Easter eggs or pysanky should necessarily have been presented to beloved ones, nearest and dearest as well as the signs, coded in painting, were to become wishes and amulets.
And nowadays Easter eggs are gifts with a profound symbolic meaning!
In former times, approach to manufacturing of these products was very careful: only original eggs of young hens were chosen as the basis as well as preparation of ingredients and paint itself could be compared to a magical ritual. Today, a lot has changed: in order to keep Easter gift longer (a blown raw egg is still very fragile material), masters use wood, however, pysanka meaning remains the same: it is the sacred Easter gift, with the help of which we express our care, attentiveness and love.
Homemade Ukrainian Easter eggs with Petrykivka painting
Ukrgifts handmade gift shop offers you unique painted Easter eggs, made by wooden craftsmen manually and painted by Ukrainian artists of Petrykivka painting. Applied art technique has rich history and cultural value not only for the Ukrainian people, but also for the whole world. Such Easter gift will be appreciated not only by family members and loved ones: it will suit as an Easter souvenir to colleagues, partners, friends, everyone who is dear to you. Wooden Easter eggs will not split, break and they will be kept for many years, reminding of you. Unique patterns, created by our craftsmen, will never repeat themselves exactly, so you can be sure that your Easter souvenir is original and the only of its kind. Although contemporary artists have moved away from classical canons of Petrykivka painting, using their own unusual palettes, each pattern keeps its symbolic meaning.
Why wooden Easter eggs are a truly unique Easter gift?
- An experienced turner makes every egg from light wooden grades. As a rule, pine or other coniferous trees are used. Well-turned wooden egg is dried and thoroughly sanded before it comes to artist’s hands.
- The finished wooden workpiece is processed in a special way before painting, so that the paint is applied smoothly. Every master of Petrykivka painting has a favorite colour scale, which he works in, so the artist himself/herself determines colour of the future masterpiece. Sometimes master’s mood affects it.
- And the egg has already a background - red, yellow, blue, green, brown by now - there are neither rules nor restrictions! Often, if a wooden egg has a beautiful wooden texture, it is not coated with paint, but it is painted directly on bear wood!
- Painting of Easter egg is a magical process! The egg gradually blossoms with incredible colours, on which fairy-tale birds, proud cocks, mysterious owls appear. Petrykivka painting is very diverse! Every master has his/her own style, which is passed from a daughter to a mother during generations. Gouache based on honey are traditionally used for painting.
- The painted egg is varnished from 3 to 5 times. Varnish gives the product shine and protects painting from damage.
Every Easter decoration, created by master’s hands, is unique! It is impossible to find two absolutely identical products! There is an artist's signature on every Easter egg. You will know the master’s name, who made an Easter souvenir for you.
You can buy exclusive handmade Easter eggs in UkrGifts.com on-line shop. We deliver our gifts not only throughout Germany and Austria, but all over the world! It is very easy to order handmade gifts at affordable prices at UkrGifts, just select a product and put it in your basket.
Choose gifts to the most heartwarming holiday wisely! In our turn, we will make sure that you receive them on time and you will be satisfied with the purchase.
Order gifts for your nearest and dearest right now!
UkrGifts is always a high quality of handicraft at an affordable price!